We're Doomed.

I am so angry. I owe a thousand apologies and have been spending pretty much all my time since the election either sick (bad cold), working, or thinking about how I was way to arrogant/wrong/etc. But I'm also so, incredibly angry.
For example:
 ALL THESE EXAMPLES ARE FROM THE LAST NINE DAYS. NINE. NINE DAYS. JUST NINE MF DAYS. HE ISN'T EVEN PRESIDENT YET.
Trump has appointed racists, bigots and white supremacists to the most senior positions in government. Which takes attention away from the mysgonists and old white men who would take away a women's right to choose and believe that homosexuality can be treated. So this is horrifying and creates a feeling of powerlessness. How unbelievably shitty.
Or
Trump had a surrogate (high profile person who speaks on behalf of him) go on Fox News and say that Japanese Interment Camps were a precedent that could be applied to Muslims in America. When the Fox News reporter called him on this (!!!!!!!), he simply re-iterated his point. Are you fucking kidding me?

Or
Trump is talking to world leaders on telephone lines that are unsecured without briefings from any current government officials to provide context for each call. Maybe not the biggest disaster you say? Sure, except: it is. Hillary was routinely attacked for mismanaging her emails, which were still on secure servers, just not government servers. He's openly talking on phones with foreign leaders about who the fuck knows what.

Or, maybe a little more sinister? Sure.
A Russian government official admitted to Russia tampering with the US election in favour of Trump. I mean, what? What the actual fuck?

Or, something that involves a rich white guy buying his way out of trouble?
Trump was sued for fraud, for tens of millions of dollars, by students who paid insane amounts of money to attend Trump University, and were lied to about instructor quality, course offerings, and job prospects upon completion. He is paying off a $25million settlement to make it go away.

Or, maybe a little bit of "sure Rob: But how is HE profiting?"
President Elect Trump and his team gathered 100 foreign diplomats in Trump Tower, NY, and promoted staying at Trump Towers (including giveaways) while conducting their work. Be President and promote your hotel chain? Smart!

Or, something a little lower key? Why not.
Something smaller scale? Sure: Last night, the Vice President Elect went to see the hit broadway show Hamilton because irony. The crowd boo-ed the shit out of him, which is probably not the best way to respond. I would have bombarded him with questions about the above. Anyway, at the end of the show, one of the lead actors read out a note to Vice President Pence about how the cast were scared for their safety and rights. It was thoughtful, touching, and came across as genuine.

TRUMP RESPONDED WITH A TWEET THIS MORNING SAYING THAT THE CAST WERE RUDE TO THE VICE PRESIDENT AND SHOULD APOLOGIZE. HOLY SHIT.

 None of this is acceptable. None of this is behaviour that should be tolerated. When Obama stepped in it early in his presidency, he offended a police officer somehow, he brought the guy to the White House to talk to him face to face. 

I'm hearing a lot of "this is not normal" being the phrase used by progressives, and I disagree. Normal is the wrong word, although I see that they are trying to tell me to not get desensitized to this kind of behaviour. We need to understand that this is objectively ethically and morally wrong. This behaviour is manipulative, hateful, bullying and creeping up close to the border of a pure expression of evil.

 It has, at minimum, inspired me to look inward for example of it in Canada. I've reached out to the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) to ask if they are open to support in advocating for clean water in the 100 plus Canadian communities that don't have it, who have been told they have to wait five years. I can't imagine the response I'd have if I was told I'd have to boil water for the next five years, and I could drive to a community that has been told that in my own province by tonight.

It might not be the same kind of thing happening in the states, but at least it's real and I can do something. Fuck Trump. Don't give him a chance. I want America, as a country, to prosper, but nobody owns him a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment