General Election coming

My last three weeks have become completely absorbed with an intense amount of volunteer management at work and my re-involving myself with the Green Party with a campaign in our imminent future.

As I studied in my masters, people tend to volunteer or stay a volunteer based on relationships with individuals. This is far more common than attraction to policy or pursuit of a specific goal. With that in mind, people that I have had close relationships with asked me if I would help prepare a campaign team for the upcoming federal election for the Green Party in Guelph and I said yes. I had a hard time bringing myself to say no to a group that I like based on problems that I have with leadership at a higher level in the party. So...I predict that in the next six days we'll be off to the races and having a national/provincial/local debate about the following themes:

-Trust: Which party do you think will best represent the politics of pulling together? Do you trust the Harper Government?
-Staying the course or change: Are you happy with the economic recovery? Do you want to risk new leadership? Can you trust Harper? Is Iggy here for you?
-Canada's reputation: Are you happy with how we are known internationally? Have we played a role you like in the Middle East? In Africa? In Japan?

What I continue to like about the Green Party is that as a group they have the potential to answer these questions better than other parties. I look forward to working with John Lawson and the Green campaign team here in Guelph to help spread this message and to hopefully be competitive with Frank Valeriote and the Liberal party on election day!

No comments:

Post a Comment